Friday 13 November 2009

Christmas Ornaments from CDs

Some ladies were asking how I made the CD Ornament in one of my blog posts, so I decided to make a tutorial to share with all of you.
You will need:
~an old CD
~patterned paper
~sandpaper or file
~glue
~ribbon
~materials to decorate the CD

1.Using the CD as a template, cut out 2 circles with the patterned paper.
2. Sand over the top of the CD so that the patterned paper will stick to it better. Glue on one piece of the patterned paper to the CD.
3.Cut some ribbon into 2 inch strips. Now comes the bit of a tedious part. You will need to do a few pieces of ribbon at a time and glue them to the CD.
4. Put a dab of glue on the end of a pice of ribbon.
5. Fold the piece over and glue together.They will look like this.6. My other scrapbook supplies helped me out! What darlings! I made a few at a time and put the pieces under something for the glue to set a bit. If you use a hot glue gun, then the process will go faster :O)
7. Then put a line of glue on a section of the BACK of the CD and start gluing the pieces down. It will look like this on the FRONT of the CD.And here's my trusty stapler sitting on a few that were glued down to help them set and stay put!!
This is what it will look like on the BACK when all the pieces are glued down. If you get to the end and there's not quite enough for another piece of ribbon, either move some around a little to make it fit OR move them apart to fill in the gap. Depends on the amount of space you have left.
And here's the front.
8. Cut another strip of ribbon and loop it and stick it down as well. Then take the 2nd circle you cut and glue it down to the back of the CD.
I received the cute digital image from Ildo Co. - SNOPALS ! I'm guest design team member there this month. Isn't it adorable! I think this image would be great as an "Our 1st Christmas Together". That could be written on the back of the ornament on a tag, maybe.

19 comments:

Dottie said...

So cute and well made. You would honestly not even know it was once a CD.

Linda said...

This is really a great idea for those unwanted CD's. Your ornament is beautiful...thanks for the great tutorial!!

Colleen said...

Very cute.

Wendy said...

Wow!!! Love this! I am so going to give it a go! Thank you so much for sharing with us!

SharDon Exclusives said...

Clever! We have sooo many CD's laying around and this is a perfect idea! Thank you,
Sharon

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

This is SO gorgeous! Love the ribbon bow edge MADly! Thanks so much for sharing in such great detail. :-D

Ana Mary said...

Muy bonito y original

Anne Harada said...

How fun! Great tutorial and great way to use up the unwanted or scratched CDs!!

SharDon Exclusives said...

You inspired me to try making these and they are soooo fun. Thank you for the idea! I found that if I used two way tape all the way around then added the ribbon all in one step it cut down on the holding time. I then glued another cd to the back that I had decorated. Iwill post them tomorrow if you have time to stop by. I even made one with holly encircling it. We have sooo many CD's that were headed to the trash so I appreciate this wise use of them. You are such and inspiration to me in each project. Thank you so very much!
Sharon

Nena3110 said...

Wonderful idea, I like it very much. Good work,very nice and patiance.

Unknown said...

Wow, that is gorgeous!!

Ale said...

This is a great idea!!

Thanks for share!

Arien said...

You are such a crafty woman! I always learn something new, when I visit your blog.

Anonymous said...

Ovo je tako jednostavno i lepo!
Hvala za tutorijal!
Pozdrav!

Melissa S said...

I was looking for something to do with a bunch of old cd's and came across your post. Just love the ornament. LOL I think some of my old cd are exercise cd too! This is the best way to use them isn't it?!? LMBO.

Unknown said...

This would make a great Baby's First Christmas ornament by using a picture that all grandparents have when the baby was born. Just use your word program to write out the baby's name and First Christmas to attach beneath the picture.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rebekah said...

This is so cute!!! I am gonna do this with my kids this year for Christmas gifts. I am gonna take your idea and add a twist to it. I am gonna put my son's picture on the front instead of a little picture. Thank You so much for this wonderful idea. I am so excited to use my old school dvd/cd-roms that were never used!!
Again, Thank You sooo much!!!

Anonymous said...

This is adorable. What a unique gift to make!